Symbiosis was established in 2018 through a public colloquium at the Naturhistorisches Museum in Vienna and a conference at Ryerson University and the Aga Khan Museum in Toronto. It was officially launched in May 2019 with a conference at the Museum für Naturkunde Berlin.
More recent conferences have been held online in November 2020 from Oxford University Museum of Natural History, supported by the University of Birmingham, and in person in September 2022 at the Hall of Biodiversity at the University of Porto.
To see the full programmes of past events, click on the links below:
- The Art of Natural History Museum Display, Oxford University Museum of Natural History, 5-7 September 2023
- Transcontinental and Transcultural Collaborations (.pdf) in Natural History Museums and Collections, Hall of Biodiversity, University of Porto, 12-14 September 2022.
- Symbiosis: Art and Science in Natural History Museums and Collections, Oxford University Museum of Natural History and the University of Birmingham, 9-13 November 2020. The panels from this online conference were recorded and are freely available to watch online.
- Architectural Legacy: The Visual Representation of Natural History, Museum für Naturkunde Berlin, 20-21 May 2019
- On the Properties of Things: Collective Knowledge and the Objects of the Museum, Ryerson University and the Aga Khan Museum, Toronto, 25-26 October 2018
- Illustrated Book of Nature: New Perspectives on the History of Natural History Museums, Naturhistorisches Museum, Vienna, 29 August 2018
Image: “flying architecture”: © Carola Radke, Museum für Naturkunde Berlin