Phenome Centre Birmingham Opening Event
- Bramall Music Building - Edgbaston Campus
- Lectures Talks and Workshops, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences, Research
To mark the official opening of Phenome Centre Birmingham, a one-day science symposium will be held on 23 May 2016, from 9.30am to 4pm, in the magnificent Bramall Music Building, University of Birmingham, UK .
This symposium will highlight the considerable value of characterising and interpreting the metabolic phenotypes of biological samples for enabling precision medicine, drug discovery and biomarker discovery. The application of metabolic phenotyping to the fields of endocrinology, inflammation and ageing research will also be presented. The symposium will introduce the capabilities and capacity of the new £8m centre at Birmingham, its industrial partners, and how this centre can benefit your research.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Professor Sir Mark Walport, Chief Scientific Advisor to the UK Government
- Professor Jeremy Nicholson, Chair of Biological Chemistry and Director of the National Phenome Centre and emerging International Phenome Centre Network, Imperial College London
- Graham Silk, Chairman of Hampson Holdings, a successful businessman and author of the 'Silk Report' commissioned by the Greater Birmingham & Solihull LEP
- Professor Wiebke Arlt, William Withering Chair of Medicine and Director of the Institute of Metabolism and Systems Research, University of Birmingham
- Professor Chris Buckley, Arthritis Research Campaign Chair of Rheumatology, University of Birmingham
- Professor Janet Lord, Chair of Immune Cell Biology, Director of the Institute of Inflammation and Ageing and Director of the MRC-ARUK Centre for Musculoskeletal Ageing Research, University of Birmingham
- Professor Mark Viant, Chair of Metabolomics and Director of Phenome Centre Birmingham, University of Birmingham
While this event is open and free, the total number of attendees is limited. Registration will therefore be handled on a first-come first-served basis, although priority will be given to academic, industrial and government scientists and health care practitioners from the Birmingham region. Register here for the one-day Opening Event on Monday 23 May 2016. Deadline for registration is Friday 6 May.
If you have any questions about the event, please email: PhenomeCentreBirmingham@contacts.bham.ac.uk