From the very start of your MBA, you receive bespoke advice from our employment consultants to take you to the next level and to open doors to a range of potential employers.
Through one-to-one coaching, our industry experienced employment consultants work with you to clarify your aspirations and support you in your future career to jointly develop a winning employment strategy for you. Throughout the programme, you will have the opportunity to be involved in group and individual activities, all aimed at helping you to develop the skills and techniques which lead to highly successful employment outcomes.
Careers in Business team
The Careers in Business team provide a specialist careers support service for the exclusive use of postgraduate students in the Business School. Their role is to support your career development in a number of ways:
- Advice and guidance, provided by professionally qualified Careers Advisors, who offer individual consultations,
- Career Development lectures and workshops and a Career Management skills programme;
- Employer liaison, bringing in a variety of organisations to give presentations
- Offer vacancies for full-time work and dissertation projects and deliver skills sessions and mock interviews.
Engagement with Employers
Whilst on your MBA you will have the opportunity to engage with top international companies. This year, our MBA students participated in a range of activities with employers including BP, GE, IBM, Accenture, Capgemini, Unilever, Deloitte and HSBC.
Distinguished Leaders Series
Our guest lectures give students the opportunity to listen to high profile leaders from a range of industries across the world. Find out more about our Distinguished Leaders Series of guest lectures.
Careers in Consultancy Networking Event
A panel discussion and networking event, focusing on careers in consultancy, with contributions by an experienced consultant, alumni working in consultancy and a recruiter.
During your MBA study, you will be invited to participate in a number of activities to support your career aspirations and enhance your job seeking skills. At the start of the programme, you will meet with a Careers Consultant to discuss your career plans and the job search support that you might need. You can book individual appointments to discuss your job search strategy, review your CV, Linkedin profile or application forms, and practice your interview skills.
View an employment activity schedule
- Meet your consultants
- Careers in 'Investment Banking' presentation
- Job seeking strategies workshop
- Mock Assessment Centre
- Careers in Consultancy networking event
- Employer presentation
- Live job search session
- Interview skills workshop
Examples of individual activities
- Discuss your plans and aspirations
- Improve your CV
- Engage in successful networking
- Write effective job applications
- Practice interview skills, with audio recording and feedback
Examples of anticipated outcomes
- A clear understanding of your employment strengths
- A proactive employment stratgey
- A strong CV and LinkdIn profile
- Formation of student-led Sector Interest Groups with your peers
- New links with great employers
Mock Assessment Centre
All of our MBA students have the opportunity to attend an interactive Mock Assessment Centre. The day includes a range of exercises which are designed to reflect those typically used by employers in assessment centres such as case studies, group exercises and interviews.
As well as developing their presentation, communication and interview skills, students also receive peer and tutor feedback on their performance and have the chance to network with employers. We are fortunate to have long-standing relationships with a number of companies who support this event including Capgemini, Unilever, Royal Mail, IBM and Deloitte.
Many students will have their own business idea that they would like to develop and we can provide support for this. Our BEnterprise initiative gives practical support for embryo businesses.
BEnterprise provides professional office and meeting (incubator) space and one-to-one expert guidance and advice. Access to the Business School network (industrial links, partners, advisers/mentors, alumni and other students) is available, as are networking events, work space, skills programmes, funding, and, where possible, access to the media.
The Centre also runs a Postgraduate Enterprise Summer School, which MBAs are encouraged to attend, designed to prepare you to:
- Develop a business idea from the concept stage to a fully fledged business proposition
- Know the steps required to set up their own business
- Be aware of the requirements to commercialise research in an academic environment.
- Be able to work effectively in a team environment
- Identify which role they are best suited to in a business team
What our MBA graduates go on to do
For many who join us, the Birmingham MBA is a major step towards developing an international or strategic focus within their careers. A number of our graduates accelerate their careers with existing employers, taking on greater responsibility and promoted roles. Others seek new opportunities or career directions with different employers. Some go on to successfully start their own businesses, either individually or with other MBAs they meet on the programme.
Major directions include:
- Finance/Banking/Accounting (e.g. Deutsche Bank, Barclays, PwC, Barclays, KPMG, Kotak Mahindra Bank)
- Consulting (e.g. Accenture, Infosys Consulting, Wipro Consulting, Enzen Global Solutions, PMMS Consulting Group)
- Technology/Telecoms (e.g. IBM, China Telecom, Ericsson, Adobe Systems, Oracle, BT)
- Pharmaceutical/Healthcare (e.g. GE Healthcare, NHS, Aurora Biomed, Rescon Partners, HCP)
- FMCG/Consumer Goods/Retail (e.g. Nestle, Danone, Reckitt Benckiser, Panasonic, Japan Tobacco)
As well as positions in the energy sector, government bodies, not-for-profit organisations, media, transport and logistics.