Forthcoming and past events from the School of Chemistry EDI Committee.
- 28th June 2016, Athena SWAN Seminar delivered by Professor Tom Welton, Imperial College London, 13:00-15:00, Haworth 203
- 20th April 2016, Towards an LGBTQ-inclusive curriculum, 12:00-14:00, Mechanical and Civil Engineering B01
- 23rd March 2016, Issues impacting on BME students, and approaches to race equality 13:00, LR2, Arts & Law Building
- 11th March 2016, LGBTQ inclusivity in HE 13:00-17:00, Room 714/715 7th Floor Muirhead Tower
- 8th March 2016, International Women’s Day Networking Event 16:30, The Barber Institute.
- 3rd November 2015, Athena SWAN Seminar 13:00 - Prof. Jane Hill, University of York (Biosciences E102) - "Path to Athena SWAN Gold - Some Reflections from Biology at York"
- 20th July 2015, Career Talk 09:30 - Prof. Eric Anslyn, University of Texas (Haworth 203) - "Professor Anslyn: Career in Research"
- 29th June 2015, Athena SWAN Seminar 14:00 - Prof. Paul Walton, University of York (Haworth 101) "Equality for Women in Science: Now, Sometime, Never?"
- 24th March 2015, Physics International Women's Day Celebration 13:30 - Prof. Yvonne Elsworth, University of Birmingham (The Barber Institute, Lecture Theatre G11) "A Random Walk From Undergraduate to Poynting Professor"
- 5th February 2015, Athena SWAN Workshop 12:30 - Dr Brendan Burchell, University of Cambridge (Muirhead Tower 710) "Employment and Well-Being: How Much Work Should We Do in the 'Good Life'?"•
- 30th June 2014 School Seminar Prof. Eileen Ingham, University of Leeds "Research, translation and commercialisation of acellular biological scaffolds"
- 24th June 2014, 3rd RSC Younger Member Symposium(YMS2014) Prof. Lesley Yellowlees, President of the Royal Society of Chemistry “Identity, Impact and Voice or ‘How did I get here?'”
- 9th October 2013, Athena SWAN Seminar Prof. Dame Athene Donald, University of Cambridge "Facilitating Women's Progression to the Top"
- 2nd November 2012, Athena SWAN Seminar Professor Robin Perutz, FRS, "Activities at York" Chemistry College of Engineering and Physical Sciences, Staff house
- 13th September 2012, Athena SWAN Information Event, School of Chemistry
- 13th September 2012, Women in Science Network Evening, RSC Birmingham and West Midlands, Winterbourne Gardens, UoB
- 28th January 2012, Athena SWAN Information Event: Data and Activities in Chemistry.
Equality and Diversity Outreach events
Examples of past Equality and Diversity Outreach events
Please visit the School Outreach and Public Engagement
pages for more examples.
- 21st - 22nd April 2016 - The School of Chemistry again hosts the Salter's Festival of Chemistry, with participation from numerous schools across the West Midlands
- 17th and 19th March 2016 – Dr Mark Read runs spectroscopy and dry ice demos at the BigBang, NEC, Birmingham
- 1st March 2016 – Dr Mark Read visits Malvern St. James Girls’ School to deliver “Spectroscopy in a suitcase”
- 15th February 2016 – Dr Mark Read delivers a lecture on the “Spectroscopy of Stars” at Leicester Space Centre
- 16th September 2015 - Dr Louise Male hosted a "Girls in STEM" workshop in the School of Chemistry
- 15th July 2015 - Dr Sarah Horswell ran a "Headstart - Materials for Energy" workshop
Archived Equality and Diversity Outreach events
- A group of students with the alginate molecule they built at a recent Girls in STEM Day.
- Emily Doyle, a 2nd Year Undergraduate, represented the Chemical Sciences at the RSC Three Counties Show.