We are world-leading experts in Applied Linguistics, focusing in particular on Second Language Acquisition. Our research employs text-based and behavioural methods to address real-world issues.
We have pioneered corpus-based, phraseological approaches to the study of language, and new approaches to the teaching of English for Academic Purposes, academic literacy, and the use of literature in the language classroom.
Areas of research include:
- Advertising, branding and communications
- Cognitive Linguistic approaches to language teaching
- English for Academic Purposes
- Figurative language development
- First and second language acquisition
- Forensic linguistics
- Health and social care
- Second language learning and teaching
- Learner corpora
- Sign language acquisition