We are world-leading experts in Applied Linguistics, focusing in particular on Second Language Acquisition. Our research employs text-based and behavioural methods to address real-world issues.
We have pioneered corpus-based, phraseological approaches to the study of language, and new approaches to the teaching of English for Academic Purposes, academic literacy, and the use of literature in the language classroom.
- Advertising, branding and communications
- English for Academic Purposes
- Figurative language acquisition and cognitive linguistic approaches to language teaching
- First and second language acquisition
- Forensic linguistics
- Health and social care
- Second language learning and teaching
- Learner corpora
- Sign language acquisition