Dr Jai Mackenzie MEd, BA
I am a Teaching Fellow in the English Language Department at the University of Birmingham. I teach a range of courses related to my research interests in language, gender and sexuality, research methods and discourse analysis.
- BA (hons) English Language and Literature, The University of Birmingham
- MEd Teaching Studies, The University of Birmingham
- Postgraduate Certificate of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Aston University
I taught English in a Birmingham secondary school for eight years before studying for a PhD at Aston University between 2013-2016. I have worked as a Teaching Fellow at the University of Birmingham since 2016.
I teach and convene a number of modules in the School of English, Drama, American and Canadian Studies, including:
- Language for Literature
- Language, Gender and Identity
- Discourse Analysis
- Sounds, Structures and Words
I am interested in exploring language, gender and sexuality through discourse analysis, language and digital communication and online privacy. My current research explores discourses of gender and family life in a range of contexts.
- Treasurer for the BAAL Language and New Media Special Interest Group;
- Assistant Academic Editor for the Routledge Handbook of Language, Gender and Sexuality.
- Postgraduate and Early Career Liaison Officer for the BAAL Language, Gender and Sexuality Special Interest Group.
- Mackenzie, J.(2017) “Can we have a child exchange?” Constructing and subverting the ‘good mother’ through play in Mumsnet Talk. Discourse & Society 28(3), 296-312.
- Mackenzie, J. (2017) Identifying informational norms in Mumsnet Talk: A reflexive-linguistic approach to internet research ethics. Applied Linguistics Review 8(2-3), 293-314.
- Mackenzie, J. (in press, forthcoming 2018) “Good mums don’t, apparently, wear make-up”: Negotiating discourses of gendered parenthood in Mumsnet Talk. Gender and Language.
- Mackenzie, J. (under contract, forthcoming 2018) Language, Gender and Parenthood Online: Negotiating Motherhood in Mumsnet Talk. Routledge.
- Mackenzie, J. (under contract, forthcoming 2018) Digital Interaction. In: S. Adolphs and D. Knight (Eds) The Routledge HandHHandbook of English Language and Digital Humanities. Routledge.
- Mackenzie, J. (under contract, forthcoming 2019) Analyzing Gender Online: A Discursive-Digital Approach. In: J. Baxter and J. Angouri (Eds) The Routledge Handbook of Language, Gender and Sexuality. Routledge.
- Adolph, S., Angouri, J., Harrison, T., Mackenzie, J., Potts, D. (2016) Recommendations on Good Practice in Applied Linguistics. Available at http://www.bbk.ac.uk/linguistics/research/baal%20ethics%20and%20good%20practice%20in%20research%20guidelines%202006.pdf