Dr Matteo Fuoli
I am a lecturer in corpus-based discourse analysis. My research focuses on two main areas: corporate discourse and evaluative language.
- PhD in English Language and Linguistics, Lund University, Sweden, 2017
- MA in Language Sciences for Business, International Communication and Tourism, Università di Trento, Italy, 2011
- BA in Foreign Languages for Business and Tourism, Università di Trento, Italy, 2007
I joined the Department of English Language and Applied Linguistics in Birmingham as a Lecturer in April 2017. Prior to this, I received my PhD in English Language and Linguistics from Lund University, in Sweden. My thesis focused on organizational trust from a discourse analytical and experimental perspective. During my years as a PhD candidate, I taught on a variety of undergraduate and postgraduate courses at Lund University, including Corpus Linguistics, Discourse Analysis, and Introduction to Semantics and Pragmatics.
During the academic year 2017/2018, I will be teaching an undergraduate Discourse Analysis module, an optional undergraduate module focusing on evaluative language, and an MA module on Corporate Communication. In addition to that I will be supervising both BA and MA students.
I would be happy to supervise research projects on the following topics:
- evaluation/stance/appraisal in discourse: how speakers and writers express emotions and opinions in discourse
- corporate discourse: how companies use language to persuade and gain the trust of their audiences
- experimental approaches to Critical Discourse Analysis: how to use experiments to test hypotheses based on qualitative CDA research
- trust and legitimacy in discourse from a Critical Discourse Analysis perspective
- verbal and pictorial metaphor in discourse
I am primarily interested in exploring how business organizations use discourse to negotiate public trust and social legitimacy. Another major focus of my research is the language of evaluation, i.e. how speakers and writers express emotions, attitudes, and opinions in discourse. My research interests also include corpus methodology, experimental approaches to (critical) discourse analysis, and multimodal metaphor. My research combines multiple methodological perspectives, including qualitative discourse analysis, corpus-based methods, and experimentation.
- Fuoli, M. and Hart, C. (in press). Trust-building strategies in corporate discourse: An experimental study. Discourse & Society, 29(5).
- Fuoli, M. (in press). A step-wise method for annotating appraisal. Functions of Language, 25(2).
- Fuoli, M., van de Weijer, J., and Paradis, C. (2017). Denial outperforms apology in repairing organizational trust despite strong evidence of guilt. Public Relations Review, 43, 645-660.
- Fuoli, M. (2017). Building a trustworthy corporate identity: a corpus-based analysis of stance in annual and corporate social responsibility reports. Applied Linguistics. doi:10.1093/applin/amw058
- Põldvere, N., Fuoli, M. and Paradis, C. (2016). A study of dialogic expansion and contraction in spoken discourse using corpus and experimental techniques. Corpora, 11(2), 191-225 (Special issue on approaches to evaluation edited by Stanisław Goźdź-Roszkowski and Susan Hunston).
- Fuoli, M. and Hommerberg, C. (2015). Optimizing transparency, reliability and replicability: Annotation principles and inter-coder agreement in the quantification of evaluative expressions. Corpora, 10(3), 315–349.
- Fuoli, M. and Paradis, C. (2014). A model of trust-repair discourse. Journal of Pragmatics, 74, 52–69.
- Fuoli, M. (2012). Assessing social responsibility: a quantitative analysis of Appraisal in BP’s and Ikea’s social reports. Discourse and Communication, 6(1), 55–81.
- Fuoli, M. (2013). Texturing a responsible corporate identity: A comparative analysis of Appraisal in BP’s and IKEA’s 2009 corporate social reports. In Andersen, G. & Bech, K. (eds.) English Corpus Linguistics: Variation in Time, Space and Genre, pp. 209-235.
- Fuoli, M. (2015). Review of: Geoff Thompson and Laura Alba-Juez (eds.) Evaluation in Context. (Pragmatics & Beyond New Series 242) Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins 2014. Functions of Language, 22(3), 278–287.
2017. Università della Svizzera Italiana (Switzerland), Institute of Argumentation Studies, Linguistics and Semiotics (http://www.ials.com.usi.ch/) Title (in Italian): ‘Strategie metodologiche per l’annotazione del linguaggio valutativo nel discorso’ (title in English: ‘Methodological strategies for the annotation of evaluative language in discourse’)
2016. Univeristat Pompeu Fabra (Spain), Dept. of Translation and Language Sciences. Title: ‘Annotating APPRAISAL in text and corpora: Challenges and strategies’
Peer-reviewed conference presentations
- Fuoli, M. and Hart, C. (2017). Combining corpus and experimental methods to investigate trust-building strategies in corporate discourse. Corpus Linguistics conference, 24–28 July, Birmingham, UK.
- Fuoli, M. and Hart, C. (2017). Are companies’ narratives actually persuasive? An experiment testing the effectiveness of trust-building strategies in corporate texts. DAFC 2017, 3–6 July, Lugano, Switzerland.
- Fuoli, M. (2016). Using experimental methods to assess the persuasiveness of corporations’ trust-repair discourse strategies. CADAAD, 5–7 September, Catania, Italy.
- Fuoli, M. (2016). Pictorial and multimodal metaphors of distrust in subverted BP logos from Greenpeace’s ‘Behind the logo’ competition. RaAM 11, 1–4 July, Berlin, Germany.
- Põldvere, N., Fuoli, M. and Paradis, C. (2016). Combining corpus and experimental methods to gain new insights into appraisal in spoken discourse. Corpora and Discourse International Conference, 30 June – 2 July, Pontignano, Italy.
- Fuoli, M., Põldvere, N. and Paradis, C. (2016). Combining corpus and experimental methods to study dialogic engagement in spoken discourse: an analysis of complement-taking predicates. ICAME 37, 25–29 May, Hong Kong, China.
- Fuoli, M. (2016). ‘I am proud to be on this team and believe that our best days are ahead’: Stance in corporate reports. ICAME 37, 25–29 May, Hong Kong, China.
- Fuoli, M. (2015). Repairing public trust after a crisis: an experiment comparing the effectiveness of apology and denial strategies. CRISIS4, 7–10 October, Helsingborg, Sweden.
- Fuoli, M. (2015). A step-wise methodology for annotating Appraisal. ISFC 42, 27–31 July, Aachen, Germany.
- Fuoli, M. (2015). Combining appraisal and CDA in the analysis of corporate discourse. ISFC 42, 27–31 July, Aachen, Germany.
- Fuoli, M. (2014). Towards a model of trust-repair discourse. CADAAD, 1–3 September, Budapest, Hungary.
- Fuoli, M. and Hommerberg, C. (2014). Constructing trustworthiness through pictorial and multimodal metaphor: an exploration of corporate visual rhetoric. RaAM 10, 20–23 June, Cagliari, Italy.
- Moretti, G., Fuoli, M. and Sprugnoli, R. (2014). CAT: an advanced environment for the manual annotation of text and corpora. ICAME 35, 30 April–4 May, Nottingham, UK.
- Fuoli, M. (2014). Rebuilding trust through discourse: a critical examination of BP’s CEO letter after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. ABC Europe Symposium, 6–7 March, Modena, Italy.
- Fuoli, M. (2013). Negotiating TRUST during a corporate crisis: a corpus-assisted discourse analysis of BP’ public letters after the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. Corpus Linguistics Conference, 22–26 July, Lancaster, UK.
- Fuoli, M. (2013). Negotiating trust during a corporate crisis: a corpus-assisted discourse analysis of CEOs’ public letters after the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. ICAME 34, 22–26 May, Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
- Fuoli, M. and Glynn, D. (2013). Manual annotation of evaluative language expressions: bridging discourse and corpus approaches. Evaluative Language and Corpus Linguistics Workshop - Corpus Linguistics Conference, 22 July, Lancaster, UK.
- Sprugnoli, R., Moretti, G., Fuoli, M., Bentivogli, L., Giuliani, D., Gretter, R., Brugnara, F. & Pianta, E. (2012). Comparing two methods for crowdsourcing speech transcription. IEEE ICASSP Conference, 26–31 May, Vancouver, Canada.
- Fuoli, M. (2011). Assessing ethical performance: a quantitative analysis of Appraisal in BP and Ikea’s Sustainability Reports. Corpus Linguistics Conference, 20–22 July 2011–Birmingham, UK.
- Fuoli, M. (2011). Assessing social responsibility: a corpus-based analysis of Appraisal in BP and Ikea’s social reports. ICAME 32, 1–5 May 2011–Oslo, Norway.
- Fuoli, M. (2011). Taking a legitimating stance: the role of Appraisal in the discursive negotiation of BP and Ikea’s social responsibility”. DIS First International Young Scholars Symposium, 18–20 March 2011–Łódź, Poland.
How business organizations use discourse to negotiate public trust and social legitimacy