I am a poet and critic publishing on contemporary poetry, environmental writing and ecocriticism, with a focus on interdisciplinarity.
- BA (Hons) English Literature, University of Reading
- MLitt Creative Writing, University of St Andrews
- PhD English Literature, “Trope on Trope: Rethinking Nature Writing Pedagogy through Metaphor”
My poetry and criticism have featured widely in magazines such as Poetry, Poetry London and Poetry Review. My debut pamphlet, Dazzle Ship, was published in 2014 by Worple Press. In 2016, I undertook a poetry residency in the Tambopata Research Centre in the Amazon rainforest. I received an Eric Gregory Award in 2017.
Previous to my post at the University of Birmingham, I have taught English Literature and Creative Writing at the University of Exeter and the University of Reading. I am Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I would be interested in proposals regarding ecopoetics, environmental writing, and interdisciplinary practice.
Find out more - our PhD Creative Writing page has information about doctoral research at the University of Birmingham.
I am a poet and critic publishing on contemporary poetry, environmental writing and ecocriticism, with a focus on interdisciplinarity. Critical works of mine have focused on metaphor, anthropomorphism and comedy with regard to environmental theory and literature. My current creative-critical research is interested in posthumanism, empathy and the methodologies used by environmental psychology.
My poems and reviews have appeared in Poetry, Poetry London, Poetry Review, PN Review, Stand, The London Magazine, The Rialto, Mslexia, Agenda and Ambit.
- ‘The Triumph of Misogyny’, Prac Crit. Edition 9, August 2017.
- ‘shine//and seem’: the figurative poetics of Mark Doty, Dark Nature. Lexington Books, 2016.
- ‘my ties with yous are not unique’: Juliana Spahr’s Lyric in a Global Age, Wild Court, Kings College London, 2016.
- ‘A Dark Ecology of Comedy’: environmental cartoons, Jo Shapcott’s Mad Cow poems and the motivational function of the comic mode, Green Letters, Volume 17, Issue 2, 2013.
- Nurturing the Right Nature: an interrogation of contemporary nature writing guides, Journal of Ecocriticism, January 2012.
View all publications in research portal