I am a fiction writer thinking about intercultural encounters, language barriers, human rights narratives, visual art and the articulation of postcolonial space.
- BA English and Related Literatures, The University of York
- MA Creative Writing (Prose Fiction), The University of East Anglia
- PhD Creative and Critical Writing, The University of East Anglia
My short stories have been published in Lighthouse Journal, Tender, The Best of British Short Stories, The Dublin Review, The Short Anthology and The Lonely Crowd among other places. In 2014, I was shortlisted for the Sunday Times Short Story Award. My first book, a collection of short stories, Blind Water Pass, was published by John Murray in May 2016. In the summer of 2017, I was writer in residence at Organhaus Art Gallery in Chongqing, China. Prior to joining the University of Birmingham, I taught literature, creative writing and critical theory at the University of East Anglia, Norwich.
Contemporary Creative Writing
Creative Writing Project
MA Creative Writing Dissertation
I would be interested in seeing proposals regarding short stories, interculturality, human rights narratives and fiction in translation (especially from French and Mandarin).
I write prose fiction with an intercultural slant. My first novel, The Asteroid Hotel, follows a group of international artists inhabiting an abandoned hotel in central China. In my short stories, I’ve tried to think about what it means to live within global capitalism and the kinds of intercultural encounters this enables and precludes.
Blind Water Pass, John Murray, May 2016.
- ‘Blood Eye’, The Dublin Review, *forthcoming*
- ‘A Punch Up at a Wedding’, Words and Women, March 2017
- ‘Window’, 451 Life, July 2016.
- ‘Nemeral’, The Short Anthology, June 2016.
- ‘Sand’, The Bath Short Story Award 2015 Anthology, November 2015.
- ‘Old Ghost’, The Lonely Crowd: Issue One, April 2015.
- ‘The Professor’, Words and Women: Volume Two (Unthank Books) March 2015
- ‘Dark Room’, Wales Arts Review, http://www.walesartsreview.org/dark-room/, July 2014.
- ‘Number Three’, The Best of British Short Stories 2014 (Salt) June 2014.
- ‘Everything Is Aftermath’, The Warwick Review (Vol. 8, No.1) March 2014.
- ‘Translating Kafka’, Tender Journal: Issue One (www.tenderjournal.co.uk) June 2013.
- ‘Forgiveness, Natality and Action’, The Hannah Arendt Center Blog, March 2014.