Postgraduate study in Shakespeare: an open day in Stratford-upon-Avon
- The Other Place - Stratford-upon-Avon, The Shakespeare Institute
- Arts and Law, Open Day
An event for prospective postgraduate students with an interest in Shakespeare.
The University of Birmingham's Shakespeare Institute is engaged in an exciting collaboration with the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) at The Other Place theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon. On Saturday 12 May 2018, we are opening the doors to both The Shakespeare Institute and The Other Place, and our unique collaboration, to invite prospective postgraduate students to learn more about our range of innovative study opportunities for September 2018 and beyond.
The programme will start at The Shakespeare Institute before moving to The Other Place, a short walk away, for the afternoon.
This event is for prospective postgraduate students interested in developing or advancing careers in creative or academic fields – from teaching and lecturing to writing, acting or directing – as well as anyone with an interest in Shakespeare. It will give you a taster of postgraduate study with The Shakespeare Institute, access to RSC experts and The Other Place itself, and a chance to hear first-hand what it is like to study in Stratford-upon-Avon.
Arrival at The Shakespeare Institute is from 10:15, for an 10:45 start.
The programme includes:
- An overview of the postgraduate programmes available at The Shakespeare Institute, and the opportunities for postgraduates to work with the RSC.
- A choice of workshop taster sessions with University of Birmingham and RSC practitioners, focused on education, performance or research
- An original performance from Shakespeare and Creativity MA students, developed as part of their programme
- The opportunity to ask your own questions about postgraduate study and have them answered by current and former Shakespeare Institute students and members of University of Birmingham and RSC staff
- Practical advice on applying for, and funding, postgraduate study.
Lunch and refreshments will be available.
For a flavour of what you can expect, take a look at our gallery of images from the 2017 Open Afternoon at The Other Place.
Book your place
The booking deadline has now passed.
A full agenda will be sent to all registered attendees before the event.
Opened in 2016 to coincide with the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death, The Other Place is a creative hub for rehearsal, training, learning and research. Through jointly-delivered postgraduate programmes, students have the chance to access creative and teaching spaces at The Other Place, and to draw on the experience of RSC artists and practitioners.