Language in Education
The School of Education hosts a number of academics who are researching and teaching different aspects of language learning and use within education, including bi/multilingualism, EAL, language learning, language teaching, language in Special Educational Needs, literacy and reading.
- Vikki Anderson, Teaching Fellow, Language, Literacies & Dyslexia.
- Bene Bassetti, Associate Professor in Bilingualism and Language Learning. Interests: psychology of language; bilingualism, biscriptalism and biliteracy; second language learning; Chinese, English and Italian languages.
- Elizabeth Chilton, Assistant Professor in Language, Literacies and Education.
- Catherine Darnell, Research Fellow. Interests: reading development, phonics.
- Donna Dawkins, Associate Professor. Interests: language teaching
- Graeme Dobson, Associate Professor, SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordination).
- Graeme Douglas, Professor in Disability, Inclusion and Special Needs. Interests: literacy.
- Sally Hobday, Assistant Professor in Secondary English Education.
- Eleni Mariou, Assistant Professor in Educational Linguistics. Interests: Multilingualism in educational and social contexts; Language ideology and discourse; Cultural and political implications of English as an International Language; Language education
- Valentina Migliarini, Assistant Professor. Interests: bilingual education
- Maria Reraki, Programme Leader, Language, Literacies and Dyslexia. Interests: language learning for learners with literacy difficulties (dyslexia); language development and literacy in bi/multilingual learners; global self-esteem for bi/multilingual learners with dyslexia.
- Nicola Smith, Assistant Professor in Primary and Early Years Education. Interests: young children’s language development, EAL (English as an Additional Language).
- Emmanouela Terlektsi, Associate Professor in Deaf Education.
- Angela Wootten, Teaching Fellow in Deafness and Hearing Impairment.
The School of Education offers the following language-related courses:
If you are interested in working with any of the above researchers, please get in touch with them directly. You can find their contact details on their personal webpage.