Bursaries and Excellence Scholarships
The School of Engineering offers scholarships to international students applying for undergraduate programmes whose fees are not wholly paid by a sponsoring body. These are worth between £1,500 and £3,000.
| ||Amount awarded||Who is eligible?|
||International students who attain AAB or equivalent on entry
||An additional £1,500
||International students who attain A*AA/AAAA or equivalent on entry
A wide range of international qualifications will be considered - please contact the Admissions Team to find out the criteria that would apply in each case. Full terms and conditions are posted below.
To be eligible for the award the University of Birmingham must be your firm choice on UCAS. Awards will be made to students commencing any programme offered by the School.
To retain the Achievement Scholarship, you must continue to perform at first class level – ie you must achieve an average mark of at least 70% at the end of each year. The Excellence Scholarship is awarded for first year only.
There is no special application process – the awards will be made automatically to all eligible students admitted to the School of Engineering at the University of Birmingham who apply by the end of September to commence their studies in the September/October of their year of entry.
If you are in receipt of support from other funding bodies which wholly cover their tuition fees you not eligible for any of the awards. If you are in receipt of part-funding you should contact the admissions tutor to check your eligibility.
Terms and Conditions
Awards and Scholarships for International Students applying for 2018 entry to:
- The School of Engineering offers an ‘Achievement Scholarship’ of
£1500 to privately funded students who are categorised as overseas for fees purposes (‘overseas students’) and whose entry grades exceed the required threshold.
- Privately funded overseas students exceeding a higher threshold are eligible for a further ‘Excellence Scholarship’ of
- Students who are wholly state-funded or in receipt of other scholarships or funds which wholly cover their tuition fees are not eligible for any of the awards.
- Students who are part funded by other scholarships or awards must contact their departmental admissions tutor about their eligibility for an award.
- ‘Achievement Scholarships’ will be given to students offering AAB grades from any three GCE A-levels excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking, or the equivalent from any of the international qualifications accepted by the School of Engineering. Agreed equivalent grades are AAB at A-level or 6,6,5 at HL for International Baccalaureate. Standards for other qualifications will be judged by the admissions tutor.
- ‘Excellence Scholarships’ will be given to students offering A*AA/AAAA grades from any three GCE A-levels excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking, or the equivalent from any of the international qualifications accepted by the School of Engineering. Agreed equivalent grades are A*AA/AAAA at A-level or 7,6,6 at HL for International Baccalaureate. Standards for other qualifications will be judged by the admissions tutor.
- In order to qualify for the ‘Achievement Scholarship’ or the ‘Excellence Scholarship’ the student must have chosen The University of Birmingham as their Firm choice via UCAS, where applicable.
- Students who earn the achievement scholarship can renew it for the next year of study if the student proceeds normally to the next level of study and maintain a year average of at least 70%.
- The excellence scholarship is awarded only for the first year of study and cannot be renewed in subsequent years.
- Students who were not awarded a scholarship on entry to a degree programme are not eligible for renewed scholarships.
- The University's decision on whether a qualification is equivalent to AAB or A*AA/AAAA at A-level is final.
- There is no special application process for the awards – they will be made automatically to all eligible students admitted to the School Engineering at the University of Birmingham who apply by the end of September to commence their studies in the September/October of their year of entry.
- Conditions are subject to change without notice. Awards are made to candidates who meet the terms and conditions current at the time of application.
Please see the University's funding database for details of other centrally-administered scholarships.