Assynt Geological Mapping Course
This module prepares provides field skills that are essential to prepare students for independent project work in the summer of year 2. The module is based around a residential field course with a small amount of post-course campus based teaching. The principal aim of the module is to undertake training in (1) advanced field technical and geological skills and (2) field safety and hazard and risk assessment. The residential trip is to Inchnadamph, NW Scotland where training focuses on field mapping and provides opportunity to practice and gain experience in independent field mapping.
By the end of the module students should be able to:
- Be able to map geology at 1:10000 scale as well as adapt to smaller scale mapping as required;
- Understand how to iterate between map and cross section and demonstrate 3D understanding;
- Be able to set appropriate scientific aims and objectives for a field study area;
- Demonstrate competence in notebook and field slip practice;
- Understand good field conduct and responsible field practices.
Maps, cross sections and notebook from Inchnadamph (100%)