Earth Structures & Tectonics
The evolution of the Earth’s crust and mantle over geological time involves a variety of tectonic processes that drive deformation and mountain building. This module provides an essential introduction and grounding in tectonics and structural geology. Key skills include identifying and describing structures and tectonics, and map interpretation.
By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Understand the relationship between stress and strain.
- Identify and interpret basic geological structures.
- Interpret basic geological maps.
- Measure and plot structural data stereographically.
- Understand the principles of plate tectonics.
- 1.5-hour multiple choice examination