Earth Structures & Tectonics
The evolution of the Earth’s crust and mantle over geological time involves a variety of tectonic processes that drive deformation and mountain building. This module provides essential level C introduction and grounding in tectonics and structural geology. Key skills include identifying and describing structures, tectonics, and map interpretation.
By the end of the module students should be able to:
- Understand the relationship between stress and strain;
- Identify and interpret basic geological structures;
- Interpret basic geological maps;
- Measure and plot structural data stereographically;
- Understand the principles of plate tectonics.
Theory class test (MCQ) – 1.5 hours (100%)