Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology
This module is concerned with engineering geology and pollution hydrogeology, focussing on developing the qualitative and quantitative skills that would be required in the solution of client problems. Ultimately, you will learn how geological theory can be used in solving practical problems.
The module mainly focuses on:
- The engineering properties of rocks and soils
- Geological and environmental considerations involved in ground investigation
- The transportation of contaminants in groundwater.
Practical sessions focus on two assessed exercises:
- The completion of a site investigation for an area of proposed construction
- An investigation of a groundwater pollution problem using professional groundwater pollution transport software (available on University computers but also available free for installation on own computers).
By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Design site investigations
- Solve problems relating to ground shear strength and consolidation
- Solve problems relating to groundwater contamination, using a range of analytical and numerical tools.
- Site investigation
- Pollution hydrogeology study