This compulsory module will provide key training in field skills, e.g. data collection, analysis and interpretation, and transferable skills via UK residential fieldwork. Bespoke theoretical and skills training for the different degree pathways within Earth Sciences will also be included. The module will therefore prepare you for independent field and project work in Years 3 and 4. Fieldwork is supported by pre-fieldtrip lectures and practicals.
By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Develop practical fieldwork skills and experience that complement core Year 1 and 2 classroom-based courses and Year 3/4 independent projects.
- Foster a critical approach to problem solving, and enhance your teamwork and time management skills.
- Understand the geological evolution of the fieldwork areas and their context in the geological history of the UK.
- Record, analyse and interpret sedimentological, hydrological, stratigraphic, palaeontological, geomorphological and/or structural field data.
- Record, analyse and interpret petrological field data from metamorphic and/or igneous rocks.
- Develop 2D and 3D visualisations of geological datasets.
- Build key transferable skills for the application to independent projects in Year 3/4 . For example, be able to present succinct and well-illustrated summaries of key datasets to answer questions.
- Multiple pieces of field-related coursework