Independent research project
Undertaking of independent research and production of a professional research report based on primary data collected in the field and/or laboratory/museum that will take account of relevant published literature. To be written in the form of a thesis, journal paper or industry report as appropriate and presented as a scientific poster for a project conference where each student introduces/defends their poster to a staff and peer audience.
- Day project conference where students present their research findings as a scientific poster presenting these to staff and peers
- 4 hours group and/or 1:1 project supervision by supervisor
- 8 hours workshops – planning a research project write-up, effective poster presentations, effective report writing, illustrating the report, peer assessment of previous projects, training session on Inkscape or similar for illustrating the report
- 10,000 word report & primary data files (e.g. note books, field slips, lab books) (90%)
- Scientific poster and 2 minute pitch/defence (10%)