This broad, introductory module will provide a fundamental understanding of the principles and practice of resource geology and geophysical interpretation. These themes comprise:
- Resources as bulk materials and aggregates: exploration and evaluation using geographical information systems (GIS)
- Hydrocarbon systems and the application of seismic reflection methods for their exploration
- Igneous ore deposits: formation, exploration using gravity, magnetics and remote sensing
- Surface and hydrothermal ore deposits
- Earth’s energy resources: formation and extraction of oil, gas and coal, ground source and nuclear resources
- Resource management and remediation.
The module will also include training in the production of concise, structured reports developed to professional standards, as expected in industry and employment. Practical components will be based on real-world scenarios and where possible, link to fieldwork modules. The module will also provide background contents for specialist modules in applied geology in Year 3.
By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles regulating the distribution of natural resources in a plate tectonic context, and understand the methods of formation for different natural resources.
- Evaluate physical resources from geological maps, satellite and geophysical data, and identify appropriate extraction and processing techniques for different resources.
- Understand and apply the techniques used in GIS and remote sensing.
- Describe the principals of acquiring remotely measurable geophysical information.
- Interpret and integrate geophysical data.
- Produce reports to the professional standards expected in industry.
Three short, structured items of coursework:
- Geophysics exercise ( approximately 500 words plus diagrams/tables/calculations)
- Remote sensing practical exercise and report (approximately 500 words plus six figures from software used)
- GIS practical exercise and report (approximately 500 words plus one figure from software the used and data tables)