Resources and Hydrogeology
The aim of this module is to provide a fundamental introductory understanding of the principles and practice of resource geology and hydrogeology. The module commences providing an understanding of the distribution of resources in a plate tectonic context, and then in Semester 1 develops the following themes:
- Resources as bulk materials
- Energy resources
- Resource management and policy
- Resource evaluation using Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Remote Sensing
- Geophysical Petroleum exploration
Where appropriate topic will commence with background information on formation of the resource, and will elaborate extraction and processing methods as well as the major uses of each resource type.
In Semester 2 the module will focus on hydrogeology including an introduction to groundwater flow, groundwater chemistry, and groundwater resource development and protection, with an emphasis on quantification.
lectures, professional standards demonstration, sand box demonstration, practical classes, Independent guided learning
- GIS and Remote Sensing practical exercise (30%)
- Petroleum practical exercise (15%)
- 1 hour exam on hydrogeology content (40%)
- Open Book MCQ assessment on Semester on 1 lecture content (15%)