The University of Birmingham has been welcoming international students onto our campus since 1900.
We have one of the largest and most vibrant international student communities in the UK, with 5,000 international students from more than 150 different countries and 31% of our academic staff from overseas.
The mix of people, nationalities and cultures on campus greatly enriches our learning and teaching environment, ensuring that our students, academic staff and partners across the world benefit from the experience that the University of Birmingham has to offer.
In this video, international undergraduate Sarah Heta takes you on a tour of a typical day in the life of an International Relations student at the University of Birmingham:
If you would like further information about entry requirements, how to apply and funding options, then you can visit our international students webpage. You may also wish to take a virtual tour of our campus.
Support for international students
Studying in the UK as an international student can be a daunting prospect. In the School of Government, to ensure that your time here is as comfortable as possible. Find out more about support for international students
Birmingham International Academy
The Birmingham International Academy (BIA) combines the highest standards of one of Britain’s leading global universities with a fully integrated student experience. The BIA provides the University's Foundation Pathways, Presessional English programmes for students preparing to study at the University, Pre-Doctoral programmes, and Pre-Masters programmes in addition to English support for students who are already at the University. The department is accredited by the British Council.
Why study at Birmingham?
- Our Professional Development Module (in final year) is a placement-based module providing a learning experience that will help bridge the gap between your current academic life at Birmingham and your future professional life. The Module helps identify personal/professional skills and strengths, and reflect on the skills developed during the placement.
- Our programmes offer the chance to combine your studies with a year abroad, studying in a different country in the third year or your degree, returning to Birmingham to complete your studies in the fourth year.
- The School supports up to six students to form a delegation at the annual Model NATO Conference to participate in a role play exercise of decision making in NATO.
- There’s an active Politics Society that includes extra-curricular events and seminars throughout each term, including visits from high-profile political figures.
- POLSIS runs an annual student conference open to undergraduate and taught postgraduate students interested in multi and inter-disciplinary fields related to social sciences. It is an opportunity to celebrate and promote students’ achievements here at the University of Birmingham. It is designed to provide an opportunity for students from all departments and courses to present their own papers alongside academics.
International student stories
There are no results that match your criteria.
Find out more