This module covers core issues arising in the field of European Union Law. The topics set out below may be covered:
- The historical origins of the European Union and its economic and political objectives.
- The principal substantive provisions of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (in outline).
- The institutional framework of the European Union and its decision-making processes.
- The legal status of the law deriving from the Treaties on which the European Union is based and its relationship with the national laws of the Member States.
- The composition, organisation and general approach of the European Court of Justice.
- The jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice and the General Court.
The following heads of jurisdiction are examined in detail: the action against Member States for infringement of their Treaty obligations; the action for annulment and the preliminary rulings procedure; general principle of EU law and human rights in the EU; the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union.