Module Leader: Stephen Daly
Teaching and assessment (2017-18): Semester 2, 1 x 3 hour examination
The course will examine the main problems presented by systems of business taxation. The focus will be on the UK law, but the underlying issues are of general relevance and the experience of other countries will be drawn upon where necessary.
Topics to be covered comprise:
- the relationship between Corporation Tax, Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax;
- the different methods of taxing companies and shareholders;
- the definition of income and the role of accounting practice;
- the deductibility of expenses, capital allowances and losses from income;
- the loan relationship rules; the taxation of corporate groups and private equity;
- tax avoidance and anti-avoidance rules.