Teaching and assessment (2018-19): Semester 1, 1 x 6,000 word essay
Outline of seminar topics:
- Defining global crime problems
- International Police Missions and Legal Transplants
- The Phenomenon of organised crime
- Legal Responses to organised crime
- The Phenomenon of corruption
- Legal Responses to corruption
- The Phenomenon of trafficking human beings
- Legal Responses to trafficking human beings
- Individual rights and globalised criminal justice systems.
- The future of globalised criminal justice.
The module aims to explore the current position trend towards the globalisation of criminal justice, the forces behind this (criminal but also institutional), the forms it is taking, their impact as well as problems associated with it (susceptibility to corruption for example) and potential further development.
The module topics are varied according to the interests of those studying the module as well as other modules they are studying. In the past seminars on terrorism replaced those on organised crime. Alternative topics relate to e.g. institutionalisation and ensuring legitimacy and accountability.