The aim of this module is to provide an introduction to the protection of human rights in international law. The module will focus in particular on various conceptual, normative and practical challenges facing international human rights law. The various ideological, legal and structural difficulties identified will be explored through the examination of particular human rights problems facing the contemporary world.
Outline of seminar topics:
- History, Philosophy, Challenges and Critiques of Human Rights: Part I
- History, Philosophy, Challenges and Critiques of Human Rights: Part II
- The International System and Human Rights
- Economic and Social Rights
- Rights, Crises and Resources
- Freedom of Religion
- Freedom of Expression
- Freedom from Torture
- Revision/Interactive Session
NB Individual topics may vary depending upon issues of current interest.