Lost in Translation? – From Science to Regulation
- Birmingham Law School
- Arts and Law, Lectures Talks and Workshops, Research
An SLSA-funded seminar organised by the grant holder Dr Aleksandra Cavoski.
This seminar is concerned with how the EU and national regulators translate scientific research into law and policy. It will also seek to understand to what extent EU and national policy preferences shape decision-making to the detriment of advances in scientific knowledge.
These issues are relevant to a number of different environmental contexts, including chemicals regulation, climate change, nanotechnology, synthetic biology and shale gas/’fracking. The seminar will bring together academics from different disciplines as well as legal practitioners and representatives of governmental bodies.
- Professor Ian Boyd – Defra Chief Scientific Adviser
- Professor Elizabeth Fisher – University of Oxford, Corpus Christi College, Faculty of Law
- Mr Bjorn Hansen - European Commission, DG Environment, Chemicals - Head of Unit
- Dr Jo Hawkins - University of Bristol, Law School
- Professor Robert Lee - University of Birmingham, Law School
- Cairo Nickolls, Solicitor with Irwin Mitchell
- Dr Janine Sargoni - University of Bristol, Law School
- Dr Kieron Stanley, Food, Chemicals & Emerging Technologies at Defra
- Dr Elen Stokes - Cardiff University, Law School
- Professor Mark Viant - University of Birmingham, School of Biosciences
- Dr Steven Vaughan - University of Birmingham, Law School
The seminar is free to attend.