Call for papers: Transcending Boundaries in the Law
Annual postgraduate conference 13 June 2014
The University of Birmingham will celebrate being named ‘University of the Year’ for 2013-2014 through Birmingham Law School’s Annual Postgraduate Research Conference.
The conference topic we will be exploring is an interdisciplinary one, ‘Transcending Boundaries in Law.’ We seek contributions from postgraduate students in all areas of law which engage the following questions (inter alia):
- How do we understand and delimit boundaries in legal knowledge and legal disciplines? How are legal boundaries made? What are their epistemic, moral, or political foundations and justifications? Who makes them? What is their function? Do we need boundaries? Are there different kinds of boundaries that affect how we understand law, and its potentialities, whether emancipatory or regulatory?
- How can inter-disciplinary approaches to the study of the law make for a better understanding of these boundaries?
- Do boundaries in legal subjects (such as those listed below) need to be transcended?
- If so, how can this be done, and what are the limits and boundaries of doing so?
- Do legal boundaries play a role in legal writing and in the framing of legal problems, legal methodologies, legal actors, and legal solutions?
Birmingham Law School invites contributions from postgraduate researchers working in any area of law, including but not limited to:
- Human Rights Law
- Criminal Law and Justice
- International Law
- Commercial Law
- Family Law
- Public Law
- Tort law
- Property Law
- Medical Law
- Labour Law
- Trusts and Equity
- Environmental Law
- Socio-legal Approaches
- Jurisprudence or Legal Theory
- Intellectual Property Law
We aim to provide a supportive and friendly environment for postgraduates and early career scholars to present their work, meet fellow researchers and benefit from interdisciplinary exchange. If you would like to present at the conference, please send an abstract of 200-300 words, along with your contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 28th April 2014. Successful applicants will be notified by 12th May 2014.
Suggestions and submissions are also welcomed for round-table discussions and complete panels – for more information, please use the above email address.
Leading academics from Birmingham Law School will participate in the moderation of panels and also participate in leading afternoon skills sessions.
In addition, the Conference will provide the opportunity to take part in Skills Sessions aimed at furthering the skills and talents needed for a successful academic career. We aim to provide sessions on:
- Interviews for Lectureships
- Designing an undergraduate or postgraduate module
Lunch and refreshments will be provided throughout the conference.
Key Note Speaker: Dr Matthew Dyson, University of Cambridge, "Transcending Boundaries in the Law"
Attendance fee: £15.00. Registration is now available
Conference website: http://www.ebhamlaw.com/boundaries2014/