It is common knowledge that speaking another language helps you get to know and understand another culture.
You might think that nowadays other languages are more useful to learn for economic reasons, but think again. French is a truly global language: it is an official language of the United Nations, the second official language at the Olympic Games and the International Red Cross. French is the lingua franca of art, cuisine, dance and fashion. And most importantly, French is the language of love!
- Charlemagne "To have another language is to possess a second soul"
- Nelson Mandela "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."
Not convinced? Then take a look at this video
If you decide to learn French with us, you will meet Emilie, Marie, Sophie or Valérie. We are all native speakers coming from different areas of France, qualified in teaching French as a foreign language and highly experienced. Our motto could be “C’est en forgeant qu’on devient forgeron” (practice makes perfect) and we plan our lessons so as to maximise our students’ use of French in the classroom.
Valérie Leick, BA, MA
Language Co-ordinator for French
You can take one of our French courses or, if you are a student here, study French as an MOMD:
- Modules Outside the Main Discipline (MOMD) - reserved for undergraduates who wish to take a language course as part of their degree
- Free course - for all full time undergraduate students who are not taking a language as a MOMD
- Online courses - available for French Level 3 only in 2014-15 as an MOMD or OA course
- Open Access - available for all who wish to study a language; students, staff, and members of the public.