Dr Jenny Wong
Department of Modern Languages
Lecturer in Modern Languages (Chinese Interpreting)
- Ashley Building
University of Birmingham
I am a Lecturer in Chinese Interpreting in the Department of Modern Languages. Prior to joining the University of Birmingham, I taught translation at Hang Seng University of Hong Kong , Beijing Normal University-Baptist University of Hong Kong, United International College, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, amongst others.
A published translator, I have translated ten books on religion, health and finance. My current research focuses on the translatability of religious dimensions in English literature, including Shakespeare.
- PhD in Literature and Theology, University of Glasgow
- MA in Interpreting and Translation, University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Finance), Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Academic Member of Institute of Translation and Interpreting.
I began my career in the financial industry having earned my first degree in finance. After realizing where my real passion lies - languages, translation and cultures – I made a decisive career shift to study translation in the United Kingdom and has since then served in multinational companies and conglomerates including BUPA and Philips Electronics as in-house writer. My current research interests in the study of English literature and theology grew out of my two postgraduate degrees: MA in Translating and Interpreting (Newcastle, UK) and PhD in Literature and Theology (Glasgow).
- Consecutive Interpreting
- Advanced Consecutive Interpreting
- Introduction to Simultaneous Interpreting
- English-Chinese Liaison Interpreting
- Practical Translation
- Specialised Translation
- Translating Sound and Vision
- Advanced Chinese
I have recently published a book entitled The Translatability of the Religious Dimension in Shakespeare from Page to Stage, from West to East: with Reference to The Merchant of Venice in Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. In this book I explore how the translator's or the dramatist's theology and religious values interact with the socio-cultural milieu to carve out a unique drama production
- The Translatability of the Religious Dimension in Shakespeare from Page to Stage, from West to East. Oregon: Pickwick, 2018.
- ACE Course: Learn Arts, Culture and English Expressions through the Bible. Hong Kong: SELBL Limited, 2010.
- “One Problem Play, Two Measures – Translatability of Christian Ethics in Two Adaptations of Measure for Measure.” Ethical Exchanges in Translation, Adaptation and Dramaturgy. Eds. Andrea Pelegri, Stuart Young, Emer O’Toole. Boston: Brill, 2017. 135-152
- “The Transadaption of Shakespeare’s Christian Dimension in China’s Theatre.” Translation, Adaptation, Transformation. Ed. Laurence Raw. London: Continuum, 2012. 99-111.
- “Lin Shu’s Translation of Shakespeare’s Religious Motifs in Twentieth Century China.” Studies in Church History 53: Translating Christianity (June 2017), 389-404.
- “Peer Modelling and Translation Training” in Proceedings of the 49th Annual Conference of the American Translators Association, Orlando, Florida, United States, Nov, 2008.
- Trans. Understanding Islam. Hong Kong: Horizons International Asia, 2019.
- Trans. 《講得出, 做得到》(Olli Tuominen‘s Say it! Live it!). Hong Kong: Taosheng, 2019.
- Trans.《我想改變‧才會有變》(I Chose to Change). Hong Kong: NICHE, 2016.
- Trans. 《基督教的核心》(Marcus Borg’s The Heart of Christianity). Hong Kong: Chinese Christian Literature Council Ltd. Hong Kong: Chinese Literature Council Ltd., 2016.
- Trans. 《贏在終點》(Olli Tuominen‘s Winning at the Finish Line). Hong Kong: Taosheng, 2015.
- Trans. 《佔領宗教: 群眾神學》(Joerg Rieger’s and Kwok Pui-lan’s Occupying Religion). Hong Kong: Chinese Christian Literature Council Ltd. Hong Kong: Chinese Literature Council Ltd, 2015.
- Trans. 《因祢是真神》(Peter Kreeft’s Because God is Real). Hong Kong: Wen Lin Publisher Ltd, 2014.
- Trans. 《愛的神學》(Werner Jeanrond’s Theology of Love). Hong Kong: Institute of Sino-Christian Studies, 2014.
- Trans.《信仰關鍵詞 – 恢復基督教字詞的意義與威力》(Marcus Borg’s Speaking Christian), Hong Kong: Chinese Literature Council Ltd, 2013.
- Trans.《耶穌的另一面》(Marcus Borg’s Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time), Hong Kong: Chinese Christian Literature Council Ltd, 2011.
View all publications in research portal