The following options are available at the University of Birmingham for studying Joint Honours in Modern Languages.
A single language plus a non-language subject
Our long-established and highly regarded portfolio of Joint Honours degrees enables you to combine a language with a non-language discipline. Joint Honours courses involving language last for four years, with your third year abroad, studying and/or working in the country of your chosen language(s).
If you study a subject in a Joint Honours programme, you work at exactly the same level and to the same academic standard as students taking that subject in a Single Honours programme. The two subjects studied carry equal weight in your first year, with an opportunity to have a major/minor split in your second and final year of study. Please visit our MyChoices site to discover more about subject weighting.
- French Studies and Geography BA
- French Studies and History BA
- French Studies and Mathematics BA
- Geography and German Studies BA
- German Studies and History BA
- Hispanic Studies and History BA
- History and Russian Studies BA
- Modern Languages and English BA (Literature: one from French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian or Spanish / Language: one from French, Italian, Portuguese, Russian or Spanish)
- Modern Languages and History of Art BA (one or two from French, Italian, Portuguese, Russian or Spanish)
- Modern Languages and Music BA (one or two from French, German, Russian or Spanish)
- Russian Studies and International Relations BA
Joint honours open day talk
[Video above - Dr Elena Theodorakopoulos delivers an undergraduate open day talk about studying Joint Honours at the University]