- Elgar Concert Hall, Bramall Music Building
- Sunday 5 December 2021 (15:00-17:00)
University Music Society
Lilian Elkington, despite being known as a fine pianist and organist, and having studied composition under Sir Granville Bantock, remains a little-known composer. The only surviving four works known to be by Lilian were found by accident in a bookshop in Worthing by musicologist, David Brown. Born in Handsworth, Birmingham in 1900, the four works known to be by her include Out of the Mist (1921) – a work whose centenary we celebrate – which was premiered by the Midland Institute student orchestra under the baton of Bantock.
- Cage 4’33’’
- Elkington Out of the Mist
- Ellington, arr. Peress Three Black Kings
- Sibelius Symphony No. 2 in D, Op. 43