This course is approved and confirmed for 2023 entry.
- Do you ask questions across disciplinary boundaries?
- Would your research benefit from integrating knowledge from different fields?
Beginning from your own point of interdisciplinary enquiry, this unique one-year course provides the tools needed for you to practice and explore your own research interests.
What is an MRes?
An MRes, or Masters of Research degree, is an internationally recognised postgraduate research degree that prepares students for the advanced skills and knowledge foundations needed for carrying out further postgraduate study, such as a PhD, or for entering specialist research professions. Whether you already have a research question in mind, or are keen to explore one of our interesting research offerings, an MRes in Interdisciplinary Study is a flexible choice for you. You can find out about some of the major, challenge-led research themes through the Institute for Global Innovation.
An Interdisciplinary MRes
Whereas traditional MRes degrees prepare you for specialised work within a single discipline, the MRes in Interdisciplinary Study gives you the freedom to pursue research interests across disciplinary borders. Complex problems cannot be solved within the confines of a single discipline, and therefore by exploring new research areas, our students acquire a holistic knowledge and understanding of elaborate issues.
This interdisciplinary MRes has been carefully designed to provide students not only with necessary research skills for an MRes, but also the advanced skills to practise interdisciplinarity. You will develop your capacity to collaborate, communicate and think creatively.
We encourage applicants from across the breadth of the arts, social sciences and natural sciences, as well as applicants from a professional background.
Why Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences?
The School of Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences has been at the forefront of teaching multi-, inter-, and transdisciplinary for the past eight years.
- Access to a wide-range of events, workshops, trips and opportunities through the LANS cultural programme
- MRes students will have opportunities to share research at LANS Lab, our interdisciplinary research group, and be able to take part in regular research seminars
- Opportunities for collaboration within the University of Birmingham and associated partners
- LANS students are supported by a multi-disciplinary teaching and research team, who will guide you to think and work beyond disciplinary boundaries.
Find out more about the specific details about the structure of the MRes and the application procedure.