Equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) are key values that help our school create and maintain the atmosphere conducive to excellent education and world-leading research and to assure the wellbeing of staff and students.
We are committed to:
- prevent discrimination,
- eliminate prejudice,
- promote inclusion,
- celebrate diversity.
We achieve this through:
- mindful treatment of colleagues and students,
- inclusive curriculum design,
- fair and transparent decision making,
- ensuring our committees and decision-making groups have a diverse membership.
- We hold an Athena SWAN Bronze award. Athena SWAN is a national initiative that recognises the advancement of gender equality, representation, progression and success for all in academia.
- We support the London Mathematical Society Good Practice Scheme, whose aim is to support mathematics departments to embed equal opportunities for women within their working practices.
- We run a local branch of Piscopia which forms a UK-community of women and non-binary students and mathematics researchers.
- We are an institutional member of the European Women in Mathematics association.
- The University of Birmingham holds the Advance HE's Race Equality Charter Bronze award, a framework through which we are working to self-reflect, identify and remove barriers standing in the way of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic staff and students.
As a school, we value applications from all sections of the community. The latest jobs opportunities can be found at the job opportunities webpage.
Studying in Birmingham
More details about the undergraduate courses we offer are available on the degree courses webpage. For further details about postgraduate studies, please visit the Mathematics PhD opportunities webpage.