Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to the School of Mathematics at the University of Birmingham.  Please find below the answers to the frequently asked questions.

How can I register as a student?

These pages form a complete guide to online registration and will lead you step-by-step through the process: 

Where can I find the Welcome Week timetable?

The Welcome Week timetable can be accessed at

Where can I find the map of the campus?

The campus map can viewed at The Watson Building is located in Red Zone, R15 on the map.

Is the School of Mathematics on Social Media? 

You are welcome to join, like or follow us on our Social Media websites:

What and where is the Educational Support Office (ESO) ? 

The Educational Support Office  is located on the second floor of Watson Building in room 214 and this is where you can get help with your general student related enquiries.

How can I contact the Educational Support Office ?

You are welcome to contact the ESO with any queries The School contact details are accessible at

What are the opening times for the Educational Support Office ? 

Monday - Friday 09:00 – 17:00

Where are the lecture rooms in Watson Building located? 

  • Lecture Room A (LRA), Ground Floor
  • Lecture Room B (LRB), First Floor
  • Lecture Theatre C (LRC), Ground Floor
  • Seminar Room R17/18, First Floor
  • Maths Learning Centre, First Floor
  • Poynting Bridge Study Room, First Floor

Where can I find a lecturer? 

Room locations are displayed on the wall opposite the door to the second floor. Email address can be located on the website via the School of Mathematics people page.  

What form do I need to fill in If I've been absent / sick? 

Please contact either of the Welfare tutors and they will help you to complete an extenuating circumstances form. Forms can be found at the Teaching Support Office or on line

Who are the Welfare Tutors? 

How do I get information about any money issues I have? 

Please follow this link to a leaflet showing what options you have available:

How do I get information about disability support? 

The University of Birmingham is an inclusive learning community. Whatever your disability or learning support needs, we’re here to help make sure you have everything you need take full advantage of the student university experience.

I want to change programme, what do I have to do? 

Please follow the below link to find out how to change programme including information on who best to contact and the relevant forms.

How do I change my module choices? 

You can change your module choice within the first two weeks of term. This can be done by completing a module choice form obtainable from the Educationa Support Office.

Is there a reading list available? 

Please follow this link for more information: