Our stimulating clinical nursing courses will provide you with the crucial clinical and academic expertise required to pursue a highly rewarding career in nursing. At Birmingham, we support and mould you to become a highly effective nursing professional of the future.
Your top 10 reasons to study Nursing at Birmingham:
- First year exposure: Your first year will offer you exposure to a number of fields of practice settings, for example Adult, Mental Health and Child and Public Health, before continuing on with your chosen field or fields of nursing.
- League table rankings: Birmingham is ranked 7th in the Complete University Guide 2020 and 10th in the Guardian university guide league table for nursing.
- Our history, your success: As one of the first universities to offer nursing degrees in 1989, we have a strong history of producing the best possible nursing graduates, carefully developed through our quality teaching from our leading academics. We’ve seen a number of our graduates’ fast track through career paths time and time again.
- You could be the next Student Nurse of the Year: Our staff and students are consistently nominated for awards and prizes. In 2016 Dr Amelia Swift won Educator of the Year at the Student Nursing Times Awards 2016, in 2017 one of our students won the award for Student Nurse of the Year: Mental Health and in 2018 another student won Student Nurse of the Year: Adult 2018.
- Crucial interactions: As one of few universities in the UK to teach a wide range of healthcare related subjects, you will gain early experience of the crucial inter-professional interaction that takes place within the medical sector.
- Worldwide elective placement opportunities: You will have the opportunity to take a 4 week elective placement either abroad or in the United Kingdom (UK). UK electives can be arranged in hospices, prisons or other specialist units. Overseas electives can be organised in healthcare settings, in any continent of the world, to gain a wider perspective of nursing around the globe.
- Hands on patient care: With a number of clinical placements each year of the course, between 4 and 12 weeks long, you’ll experience hands on patient care right from the start of the course.
- Fantastic access to placements: You will have the opportunity to practice nursing in some of the country’s leading healthcare trusts, ranging from community care, to acute care and also regional and national centres of excellence in the Birmingham and Solihull area. This offers you the opportunity to have contact with a wide range of patients and a variety of health conditions. With a main line train station right outside of the Medical School, access to placements further afield is easy.
- Local major hospital trusts: You will be based in the Medical School which is located next door to one of the largest general hospitals in Europe, the Queen Elizabeth (QE). The QE offers a number of outstanding placement opportunities for our students, along with many other major hospital trusts that are within a few miles from the university.
- We’ll take care of you: At Birmingham we deliver quality not quantity, which is why our small cohort numbers mean you will get the support you need to become a highly regarded nurse of the future.