Making the Invisible Visible: Discovering Forces Beyond What We See
- Physics West (R8 on map)
- Engineering and Physical Sciences
For more information please contact Miss Katherine Grover, Doctoral Researcher in the Gravitational Wave Group:
The University of Birmingham’s Particle Physics Group, Gravitational Wave Group and Astronomical Society cordially invite you to attend an evening of discovery on Wednesday, March 20th from 4pm to 9pm at the University’s Edgbaston campus. The event is a part of this year’s National Science and Engineering Week and the University’s Arts and Science Festival.
We encourage adults, families and children of all ages to learn more about the physics of the universe we live in via our hands on activities, lectures and demonstrations. Find out how we use kilometre size experiments and state of the art computer analysis and simulation to discover the invisible forces which influence everything from the smallest subatomic particle to the structure of galaxies.
The following 30 minute talks will be taking place:
- 17:00: Discovering Black holes with Gravitational Waves by Chiara Mingarelli
- 17:45: Laser Interferometers and Gravitational Waves by Charlotte Bond
- 18:30: An introduction to Particle Physics and the Large Hadron Collider by Cristina Lazzeroni
- 19:15: Astronomy talk: to be confirmed.
For information on National Science and Engineering Week, visit http://www.britishscienceassociation.org/national-science-engineering-week
For more information on the University Science and Arts Festival, visit http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/artsandsciencefestival