The module aims to introduce students to cutting edge research in neuroscience and its impact on society. As neuroscience is a contemporary and fast-moving field, it is important that students are conscious of the impact of advances in both new research and technological applications.
Students are expected to engage with the following:
- Historical perspectives of neuroscience and it’s impact on society
- The wide variety of application of neuroscience research (not just treatment of disease)
- The potential costs/benefits of neuroscience research on different members of society
- The nature of public engagement and what constitutes successful public engagement
- One 1500-word essay discussing the ethical implications and impact upon society of previously debated topics.