Edward Cadbury (1873-1948) was the grandson of the founder of the famous chocolate company, rising to become its managing director and later chairman. A committed member of the Society of Friends, his faith shaped his professional interests (and, famously, the operational and organisational culture of Cadbury’s) as well as his personal concerns.
Cadbury was an enthusiastic advocate and generous supporter of education, social welfare and the study of religion, and a major benefactor of the University, most prominently in his support for the establishment of the University’s chaplaincy, St Francis Hall, and investment into what are now the Department of African Studies and Anthropology and Department of Theology and Religion, for both of which he instituted an annual series of public lectures which continue in his name to this day.
He also established and endowed the Chair of Theology at Birmingham and was instrumental in recruiting the eminent theologian H.G. Wood as the first holder of this world-renowned post (the present postholder is Professor Candida Moss).
Edward Cadbury’s passion for education, religion and social wellbeing were evident throughout his life and continue to be demonstrated in the grant-making strategy of the Edward Cadbury Trust which he established, and will, we hope, be reflected in the mission and work of the Centre that is proud to bear his name.