Course fact file
Fees and funding
The Apprenticeship is paid for by an employer, there are no costs incurred by the learner.
2 years part time
For all enquiries relating to this Apprenticeship programme please contact our Apprenticeships Team at:
Our aim at the University of Birmingham is to support you with practical knowledge and understanding required for leading across a range of health and care systems.
Our Health and Care System Leadership Level 7 Apprenticeship, aligned to the Senior Leader Apprenticeship Standard, will allow you to gain a Postgraduate Diploma in Health and Care System Leadership funded by the Apprenticeship Levy.
The Health Services Management Centre (HSMC) is one of the UK’s leading centres for research, teaching, professional development and consultancy to health and social care agencies. HSMC pioneers innovative approaches to personal and professional education, delivering multi award -winning national leadership programmes that have made a real difference to the working lives of staff and have improved patient care and experience across all healthcare settings.
Drawing on theory, research, and comparative analysis of international health systems our Health and Care System Leadership Level 7 Apprenticeship programme will help provide you with a basis for understanding and achieving the ‘building blocks’ of high-quality care: well-trained and motivated staff, efficient use of resources, a culture of improvement, and an ability to integrate care. Teaching and learning is delivered in collaboration with colleagues from the Department of Social Work and Social Care at the University, and a Social Work and Social Care Leadership pathway is offered, providing a unique and integrated perspective on system leadership.
The programme takes you through the development processes intended to equip you with the theoretical knowledge and personal skills to understand the health and care environment, improve integrated working on the frontline, and assesses ways to achieve more efficient and person-centred services.
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship we offer you the opportunity to achieve a full Masters level qualification via completion of a 60 credit dissertation. The cost of completing the Masters will be £4,000 which can be funded by the employer or individual, or a combination of both. Discounts and scholarships may be applied in certain circumstances, please contact us to discuss.
Why study this course?
- The programme meets the ‘Triple Aim’ challenge of developing integrated approaches to improve care, improve population health, and reduce costs
- Flexible mode of delivery to suit both learner and employer needs through a hybrid of online and on-campus delivery
- Modular delivery limits the impact of study on work commitments, with each module containing face-to-face learning and supported online learning
- Enrolment on the programme enables learners to build new networks and connections, develop as system leaders, and work with new ideas and approaches to solve organisational and system challenges
- In addition to their Apprenticeship, the University provides apprentices with membership of the Chartered Management Institute for the duration of the programme and one year afterwards as either Chartered Managers or Chartered Fellows
Different modules examine the strategic, political and policy context of system leadership in health and care. A range of areas are covered that include improving quality and safety; innovation and change; leading and developing people; strategic planning and decision making; and participation, involvement, and engagement in service organisation and delivery. You will be introduced to key national and international research including consideration of lessons from other sectors.
- Strategic planning (20 credits)
- Quality and safety (20 credits)
- Participation, Involvement and Engagement (20 credits)
- Leadership and Change (20 credits)
- Innovation and Improvement (20 credits)
- Health Service Management (20 credits)
On successful completion of the PgDip, you will have the opportunity to gain a MSc. Please contact us for further details.
The Executive Apprenticeship will be paid for through your employer, there will be no costs incurred by you.
All employers who have a payroll over £3 million pay an Apprenticeship Levy. They can use this levy to fund your enrolment on the programme.
The normal admission requirement for our taught postgraduate programmes is a good first degree or an equivalent professional qualification. Subject to interview (and sometimes to a special test) candidates without a first degree may be admitted onto this programme. It will also be at the discretion of your employer whether you meet their requirements for the course.
You will need to apply for the Apprenticeship through your employer, who will have their own selection criteria.
For all enquiries relating to this Degree Apprenticeship programme please contact our Degree Apprenticeships Team: