Social Work degrees

The University of Birmingham has provided the longest continuing social work education programme in the country. We have been teaching social work since 1908 and over this time we have developed a strong reputation for delivering high quality teaching and learning across our degree programmes.  

Qualifying programmes

We offer two qualifying Social Work degrees; an undergraduate route (3 year BA Social Work), and postgraduate route (2 year MA Social Work). Successful completion of either of these programmes will allow you to register with HCPC as a qualified Social Worker.

How to apply to study Social Work in 9 easy steps

Distance learning degrees

Doctoral research

We have two routes of doctoral study, the traditional MPhil/PhD Social Work and Social Care, and a professional doctorate DSW (Doctorate of Social Work)