Social Work degrees

The University of Birmingham has been providing social work education since 1908. As the oldest running social work education programme in the country, we are proud of our history and we are committed to continuing our work to raise professional social work standards and promote good practice.

Qualifying programmes

We offer two qualifying Social Work degrees; an undergraduate route (3 year BA Social Work), and postgraduate route (2 year MA Social Work). Successful completion of either of these programmes will allow you to register with HCPC as a qualified Social Worker.

The BA and MA Social Work fulfil all the requirements of the Government to enable you to qualify as a Social Worker. As part of this, all students will undertake specific learning, and will be assessed in the following key areas:

  • Assessment, planning, intervention and review
  • Communication skills with children, adults and those with particular communication needs
  • Law
  • Partnership working and information-sharing across professional disciplines and agencies

For both programmes there is a requirement for students to undertake supervised and assessed practice learning during the course of the programme.

All applications for these programmes must be made via the UCAS entry form in the autumn. You can also visit the 'information' section of the UCAS website to calculate the tariff points you have from various types of qualifications and calculate the equivalents of the points required for the social work course using the 'tariff calculator'.

Find out more about student finance at Birmingham University and check information at the Health and Care Professions Council.

Research degrees



Culture and collections

Schools, institutes and departments

Services and facilities