QuestionTime@ IASS was a key event for returning social policy and social work students based on the BBC1 television programme, Question Time. Each week the hugely popular programme features a panel of politcians, policymakers and other social and political commentators who answer pre-selected questions put to them by a live audience.
QuestionTime@ IASS will replicate this format to provide students with the opportunity to put their own questions to a panel of exciting and highly interesting national and local figures. The following were the panellists at our first event on 27 September 2012:
Question Time panellists
- James Burn, Chair of West Midlands Green Party, Social Worker, former Senior Policy Advisor to Cabinet, Member for Adult Social Care Birmingham City Council
- Alison Garnham, Chief Executive, Child Poverty Action Group
- Siobhan Harper-Nunes, Shakti Women, Birmingham
- John Hemming, Liberal Democrat MP for Birmingham Yardley
- Paul Nowak, TUC, Head of Organisation and Services
- Gisella Stuart, MP, Labour MP for Birmingham Edbaston
- Sue White, Professor of Social Work (Children & Families), University of Birmingham
As well as giving students the chance to engage directly with the people making the crucial decisions in today's society, both before and during the event, students will also be able to tweet their questions using the hashtag #QTIASS.