Standard fees apply to the PhD programme, this programme is in the Fee Band C for international students.
Find out more about fees here.
Postgraduate studentships are available from a variety of government, charitable and industrial sources, and close collaborations exist with industry and research institutes both in the UK and internationally.
Funding sources for our current PhD students are:
- research councils (BBSRC and ESRC),
- Age UK,
- University elite scholarship,
- Brazilian studentship,
- Government funding.
Information about current postgraduate funding opportunities at the University of Birmingham can be found on the Graduate School Intranet site and on the College of Life and Environmental Sciences webpages.
Science without Borders
The Science without Borders programme offers funding for Brazilian postgraduates to study in the UK.
Under the scheme students can study for a PhD in science, technology, engineering or mathematics subjects at a UK university for 3-4 years.
The scholarships cover:
- Full tuition fees
- Bench fees (the maximum amount available for tuition and bench fees combined is £20k per year)
- A generous stipend paid directly to the student
For information on applying visit the Brazilian government’s website.
Brazilian funding agencies no longer provide pre-sessional English courses for PhD students. However students can access a free online English course.
There will be three calls in 2015, covering PhDs that start between July 2015 and July 2016. It is important that students apply to the correct call for their proposed start date.
- Application deadline: 19 December 2014
- Results announced: 15 April 2015
- Start of scholarship: Between July and August 2015
- Application deadline: 23 April 2015
- Results announced: 14 August 2015
- Start of scholarship: Between January and February 2016
- Application deadline: 21 August 2015
- Results announced: 15 December 2015
- Start of scholarship: Between June and July 2016