Dr Vassilis Barkoukis (email@example.com):
- BA in Physical Education and Sport Sciences
- MSc in Coaching
- PhD in Human Performance and Health
Vassilis Barkoukis is currently an Assistant professor in Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. He graduated from the Department of Physical Education and Sport Science, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, with a specialty in Coaching Track and Field. He obtained his MSc in Coaching from Democritus University of Thrace and his PhD in Human Performance and Health from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. His PhD dissertation focused on the evaluation of the effectiveness of an intervention promoting mastery-oriented motivational climate in school physical education.
Vassilis is widely considered as an expert in doping in sport. He is the lead editor of the first book on the Psychology of Doping in Sport (Routledge) and has published over 120 articles and book chapters. In addition, he has been involved in six WADA-funded projects and a major multinational grant funded by the European Commission (Erasmus+) aiming to develop an anti-doping educational tool. Presently, Vassilis is involved as principal investigator or co-investigator in three projects funded by the IOC and the European Commission (Erasmus+) aiming to understand doping behavior in competitive and recreational sports and developing effective anti-doping interventions. Finally, Vassilis worked as track and field coach for almost 20 years at grassroots and elite level and as a physical education teacher for 11 years in primary and secondary education.
- Barkoukis, V., Lazuras, L., & Harris, P. R. (2015). The effects of self-affirmation manipulation on decision making about doping use in elite athletes. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 16, 175-181.
- Barkoukis, V., Lazuras, L., & Tsorbatzoudis, H. (2014). Beliefs about the causes of success in sports and susceptibility for doping use in adolescent athletes. Journal of Sports Sciences, 32, 212-219.
- Barkoukis, V., Lazuras, L., Tsorbatzoudis, H., & Rodafinos, A. (2011). Motivational and sportspersonship profiles of elite athletes in relation to doping behaviour. Psychology of Sport & Exercise, 12, 205-212.
- Lazuras, L., Barkoukis, V., & Tsorbatzoudis, H. (2015). Toward an integrative model of doping use: an empirical study with adolescent athletes. Journal of sport & exercise psychology, 37(1), 37-50.
- Lazuras, L., Barkoukis, V., Rodafinos, A., & Tsorbatzoudis, H. (2010). Predictors of doping intentions in elite level athletes: A social cognition approach. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 32, 694-710.
- Ntoumanis, N., Ng, J. Y., Barkoukis, V., & Backhouse, S. (2014). Personal and psychosocial predictors of doping use in physical activity settings: a meta-analysis. Sports Medicine, 44(11), 1603-1624.