Birmingham Business School’s brand new Postgraduate Teaching Centre opened its doors to students in autumn 2016. Based alongside Pritchatt's Road, the £10 million centre, is devoted to the teaching of postgraduate courses. The building is called the Alan Walters Building after the noted economist of the same name.
Sir Alan became a lecturer in Econometrics at the University of Birmingham in 1951. In 1961, he was appointed Professor of Econometrics and Social Statistics and remained at the University until 1968, when he went to the London School of Economics as Sir Ernest Cassel Professor of Economics. He was also Chief Economic Adviser to Margaret Thatcher's Government, as well as Economic Adviser to the World Bank. The name of the building was selected after Alan Walter’s widow gave a generous gift in his memory.
The Alan Walters Building contains several distinctive features for students of Business School postgraduate programmes, including a Harvard style lecture theatre. The high quality facilities also provide a dedicated space for the Business School’s postgraduate students, and includes communal areas for studying and group work, which will overlook the Green Heart when completed in 2019. The new building is neighboured by Muirhead Tower, and has been designed to ensure it is complemented by its neighbour, which is the tallest building on campus other than the Joseph Chamberlain clock tower. The plaza area in front of the Alan Walters Building provides pedestrian access into the Muirhead Tower, and out into University Square and Chancellor’s Court.
Find out more about Birmingham Business School's postgraduate opportunities
Images credited to Quintin Lake