Undergraduate Admissions

I am pregnant; will my baby need immigration permission to be in the UK?

If you have a baby in the UK, you do not need to apply for immigration permission for the baby unless your baby needs to re-enter the UK after travel.

If you are in the UK as a Student Route visa holder, you can apply inside the UK for your baby if you meet the following requirements:

  • you are sponsored by your government to study on a programme longer than six months
  • OR you are studying on a programme at postgraduate level and for twelve months or more

If you do not meet the requirements above, you can apply outside the UK only if you meet the following requirements:

  • your baby was born during your current Student visa or a pre-Student visa for a programme longer than six months, or
  • your baby was born while you had a visa to resit exams (not Student Visa) 
  • your baby was born no more than three months after your visa expired

If you are studying for longer than 6 months then you (and your dependants) are entitled to free medical treatment on the NHS.

  • You must register with a local doctor as soon as possible.
  • This does not include dental care, treatment for pre-existing conditions or non-necessary treatment.
  • You may need to take out health insurance to cover any treatment which is not covered by the NHS or for private non-emergency medical treatment.

For more information about entitlements for children, pregnant women or health benefits which may subsidise the cost of NHS prescriptions, dental charges and optical costs visit the NHS website, or UKCISA.

Please note depending on how many weeks pregnant you are some airlines may ask for a letter from your doctor or midwife confirming your due date, and that you are not at risk of complications.

Please check with your airline to ensure you are permitted to travel.