To apply, a student's application must be supported by a member of staff at their current school or college which is a partner in the A2B scheme. Students also need to meet the following criteria:
- Attend a partner school or college within the West Midlands
- Parents have no experience of Higher Education in the UK or abroad
- Main income earners in their household are not in professional occupations, e.g. not teachers, doctors, solicitors or similar
- Annual household income is £42,875 or less before tax
- Home postcode is in an area with low levels of progression to higher education (normally we would expect Quintiles 1-3 as shown on the checker to indicate A2B eligibility.
- Attend a non-selective state school or college which is a partner in the A2B scheme. If students attend sixth form at a selective state school (such as a grammar school) we take into account the context in which they achieved GCSEs.
- Classed as a Home/EU student for tuition fees
Students who have been a looked after child in local authority care for more than three months since the age of 14 are welcome to apply through the scheme without meeting the above criteria (as long as they are studying at a partner school or college).
We welcome applications from mature learners, if you would like to hear more about the experiences of mature learners studying at the University of Birmingham then please view our mature students film.
We also encourage students to let us know in their application if any circumstances such as a disability, a long-term illness or time spent caring for a member of your family has prevented them from achieving their full potential.