Our range of programmes for students in year 12 and 13 in the West Midlands offer an insight into higher education and professional career routes, and support students throughout the university application process.
We work with schools and colleges in the West Midlands region to help students discover more about studying here at Birmingham, and to offer a taste of life at university. Activities include:
- Access to Birmingham (A2B) - our scheme for year 13 students from background less likely to consider university. By applying to study here through A2B, students gain a package of support and an alternative offer.
- Birmingham Link (Blink) - this scheme supports year 12 students who are considering applying to study here through our A2B scheme in year 13.
- Routes to the Professions - a unique opportunity for year 12 students interested in careers in medicine, dentistry, law, finance or engineering to gain a real insight into studying at university and pursuing professional careers.
- Masterclasses - we run over 40 masterclasses per year, designed to stimulate enquiry and broaden knowledge on a particular topic.
- Academic Enrichment Programme - this scheme helps to encourage young people with no family history of higher education to apply to a leading research university, supporting and guiding them in the process. The scheme includes a week-long residential on the University campus.
- Realising Opportunities - this programme is designed to support students through their post-16 studies with skills development and guidance. We run this scheme in collaboration with 14 other leading research intensive universities
- Aimhigher West Midlands - we play a key role in the Aimhigher West Midlands partnership, a network of 12 regional universities and colleges who work together to develop and deliver widening participation activities.
- Mentoring - one-to-one support from trained undergraduate mentors for pupils in year 8 to 13
- School visits - we offer tailored visits out to schools and opportunities for school groups to visit our campus
- Support for care leavers - we offer a range of support to applicants who have been in local authority care