Birmingham benefits from a prime location in the heart of England. The city has a major train station where you can reach all corners of the UK easily, and is less than two hours from London by rail.
Birmingham is surrounded by a network of motorways, and has an International airport just 10 minutes on the train from the city centre, perfect for a weekend trip to a range of European cities.
Within the city, transport couldn’t be easier - or cheaper, particularly if you make the most of student rail and bus deals.
- The University of Birmingham benefits from a train station on campus (aptly named ‘University station’), which will take you into the heart of Birmingham in less than 10 minutes.
- As a major, central transport hub, you can access all big, mainland cities across the UK from Birmingham New Street in just a few hours
- If you prefer a more picturesque route, you can cycle or walk from campus along the canals straight to the Mailbox, or Brindley place.
- It’s really easy to walk around the city, many of the main shopping streets are pedestrianised, making wandering around safe and easy.
- A full taxi of friends can cost as little as £3 each from the city to campus, perfect after a fun night out - or for a day in the city!
- There are nine local bus services which serve the University from the city centre.
- For cheap journeys to nearby destinations and across the UK, Birmingham Coach Station is only a short walk from New Street train station in the city centre.
- The city has recently introduced a tram system (Midland Metro), making getting around Birmingham even easier!
London: Less than 2 hours (rail)
The Malvern Hills: under an hour (rail)
Stratford upon Avon: under an hour (rail)
Cardiff: Less than 2 hours (rail)
Edinburgh: Less than 90 minutes (flight from Birmingham International aiport)
Dublin: Less than 1.15 hours (flight from Birmingham International airport)