Molecular Biology and its Applications
Genetic analysis and gene cloning, DNA fingerprinting and forensics, genomics and computational approaches to genetics.
- BSc Biochemistry, BSc Medical Biochemistry, BSc Biological Sciences, BSc Human Biology
This second-year core module will build on first-year training and aims to develop an understanding of molecular biology, its empirical bases, and its applications in modern biological science.
The module will:
- Introduce advanced techniques in molecular biology;
- Develop an understanding of the diverse applications of this technology across the range of the Biological Sciences;
- Provide hands-on experience of basic cloning and molecular biology techniques; Provide experience of more advanced techniques through computer-simulation;
- Give experience of student-based learning through the use of a computer-based practical;
- Build a sound theoretical basis on which teaching in the second and third years can build in all areas of biology.
Lectures, Practical Classes and workshops, student-centred learning
Exam (67%), Coursework (33%)