Research Project (MSci Professional Placement)
A laboratory-based research project will be undertaken. These will normally be supervised by a member of staff from the University of Birmingham and primarily by members of the Institute of Microbiology and Infection (IMI). The aim is to provide first-hand experience of how new scientific information is acquired and assimilated into the existing body of scientific knowledge. The student will have to conduct an in depth literature search which will eventually be written up as the Introduction to the project report. The student will carry out practical techniques used for research in molecular microbiology, host pathogen interactions or microbial omics. The results obtained will be recorded according to scientific conventions, first in a laboratory notebook, and finally as part of a final project report. Assessment will also include an oral presentation of the work.Assessment
By the end of the module students should be able to:
- Use the relevant literature regarding the specific research topic
- Design, organise and conduct independent research experiments.
- Demonstrate laboratory-based (and if required computer-based) technical skills and use them to generate information about specific scientific problem.
- Make full and appropriate use of information technology.
- Collect, record, analyse and interpret data, present results in written form and integrate them into the existing knowledge base.
- Present some aspects of the work in an oral presentation.
Supervisors assessment of performance in the laboratory (25%) ; Project Report (50%) Oral presentation (25%) Reassessment: Resubmission of written work with a 50% capped mark